Saturday, August 23, 2008

Motorcycle Maintenance


Most have heard of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". You may have also heard of "Just in Time Manufacturing". This is a case of "Just in Time Maintenance. Maybe it more like, "Almost too late Maintenance".

The sprocket on the right is the new sprocket, what the drive sprocket is supposed to look like. The sprocket on the left is the old one that I just removed. Oops. Note in the photo above that the teeth have curled over on the top like a wave about to crash. Also notice the large space between teeth.

In the photo below, notice the wave on either side of the teeth. Those weren't there originally and have been created by the chain links wearing into the sprocket.

I guess all I can say is that I'm glad I didn't wait and that I double checked my procedure for checking chain tension and found I had been doing it wrong. Oops again.

No comments:

Post a Comment