Just a small post about a small project. Last weekend, I rode the motorcycle to visit family and when I got home, I found that the latch bolt on my trunk was broken.That's the part of the lock that looks like a tooth and engages the strike plate.
In the past, I would have just ordered up a new trunk, but I thought I could probably make a replacement out of aluminum. Notice the partial broken off latch bolt in the picture.
Now none of this is particularly amazing but it is satisfying. I was able to make it stronger, a solid latch bolt rather than hollow, and because of the material change I was able to make it 46% lighter. Cool.