Friday, October 29, 2010

Fall Chores


Forest shadows on the fallen leaves.

Every fall, there are chores to do around the house. One of the most odious is getting rid of the old gas in the motorcycles. I am forced to find a warm day, take the bikes out and ride through the countryside until the tank is nearly empty and then run the carbs dry. Last Sunday was the day for this chore. The sky was blue with a few clouds floating by. The temperature was up to 73 deg F. It was late fall in Michigan with most of the colors turning shades of beige and brown, but a few brightly colored trees along the way.


The story I would like to tell you is about a nice ride with my camera taking pictures along the way. Unfortunately, that is not the way it turned out. I was riding the ZRX when I started to notice the photographic opportunities. But I hadn't remembered to bring the camera. According to the gas gauge, I still had plenty of miles to go, but riding home to get the camera, it coughed and died about 1/2 mile from my driveway. By the time I rolled to a stop, I was about 100 yards from home with a small hill to push it up. Making the crest and breathing heavily, I coasted down the hill to my driveway.

On the plus side, the chore was done and going out with my camera in the car opened up dirt road possibilities that I would never have done with the ZRX. On the negative side, it would have made a better story without all that running out of gas stuff.

I guess you can say that Michigan has its own charms. One of the first that I ran across was Grandfather Maple.


He is old and wrinkled, but still has his charms.


But he is a big fellow and must have been standing by this road for a long time. Note my blue car in the corner of the photo for scale.


The fields have color and shades of their own.


St Jacob Lutheran, one of my favorite country churches.



Glenn Road invites you to explore.


More sunlight colors in the grasses of the fields.


Reithmiller Road is guarded by an Oaken Arch.


Along the way, one of our neighbors is experimenting with wind power. I should have slowed down the camera and allowed the blades of the windmills to blur into circles. As it is, you can't tell that all except the tall windmill in the foreground are spinning madly and making electricity. Each of these windmills is about 6 or 7 feet in diameter and the farm is on the edge of a wide, swampy plain without trees. If anyone has good land for wind power in Michigan, this guy is looking pretty good.


Who says all Michigan roads are flat and straight. This is a relaxed cruise kind of road.


A farmer's dam. This stream flows out of Locker Lake and the farm captures the stream for pond just before crossing Camp Road.


Autumn can be a colorful time, but soon the only color will be brown and we will be entering into stick time. The motorcycles are put away for the winter and I will enjoy the last few days of color.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your words. I especially appreciate the way you talk about Grandfather Maple; it made my Latvian-pagan roots smile.

    ReplyDelete