Monday, May 9, 2011

A Fiat followed me home

Almost exactly 2 years ago, when Chrysler was still in bankruptcy, I got my first chance to sit in a Fiat 500 and was fairly convinced I would buy one one day. A lot has happened in those two years including a lot of US development on the 500.

In early April, I went shopping for a 500. I could have chosen from 40 or so 500's on the lot, but instead I ordered one exactly to my specs.


Amidst all the craziness at work and the commitments of my father's illness, the Fiat 500 that I ordered came in and I managed to pick it up and bring it home this week. So far, I am happy. It's a neat little car with a lot of personality.

The initial quality is great. I've only found one thing I would change and that is only because I have too much information and am your basic geek. OK, I'll give. I want to better center the electrical center point or trim of the electric power steering. The car is aligned perfectly, but the power steering thinks straight ahead is a little to the left.


I worried about the color choice, but now that it is here, I'm happy with my choice. I've even been wearing my red sweatshirt to go with the car.


The next happy task is to figure out a good name for him. The one thing I'm pretty sure of is this car needs a male name. Luigi is obvious, but already taken by a well travelled development car. Any suggestions would be welcome.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new ride, Jac. I suggest for a name that you go big and name it Enzo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Gigi?
    I was going to suggest Topo Gigio but that would be an all too easy reference to the 500 Topolino. Wiki says the Italian nickname "Gigi" is a diminutive of Luigi ("Louis"), so Topo Gigio could be translated as Louie Mouse.
    Gigi is also an alliterative reminder of the now departed Gidget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool rig! Do you fit in it conventionally, or did you have to "Hightower" it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my friends don't post comments, but send me emails instead. I don't know if they are shy or what.

    In this case, Parsla sent me a typically deep thought and I couldn't resist copying her email and posting it anyway. I hope that is OK, Parsla.

    "I just read your blog post about your little red FIAT and trying to come up with a name.
    My suggestion is Guido - slang for working class Italian-Americans, best friend to Luigi in the movie Cars, and also also the first-person, present conjugation of the Italian verb guidare ("to drive").

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doug,

    Enzo! You would really have to own that name.

    Greg,

    I get it, but to me Gigi is a petite French girl. I'm having trouble with the Italian guy version.

    Charlie,

    The answer is that I fit normally, with the addition of a deeper bow than normal when entering the car. Now, what the heck does it mean to "Hightower" it????

    ReplyDelete
  6. What was it that attracted you to the F500?
    It doesn't seem a natural "fit" for you.
    Do you still have the M-B C-coupe?
    h_estes@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howard,

    Great to hear from you.

    Actually, it is a really good fit. The seating position is higher H point than you would guess and the seat provides the best thigh support I've ever had. Plus it's got lots of character and is a hoot to drive. Not very fast, but I enjoy the involvement in the driving. Of course, it is a partial replacement for Gidget with it's, "I don't care what you are doing, I'm having fun" attitude. The old human factors guy in you might even approve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I certainly don't mind you re-posting. Main reason I sent you an email was because blogspot was acting up and not letting me post a comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was telling my sister about the suggestions for a name for the car. She said, "It's not exactly a name, but I think it looks like a red haystack".

    ReplyDelete