Saturday, January 28, 2012

Along the Way in Texas, Mostly

I called this last test trip, "The Twelve Tire Tour". Its OK to sing along with the Gilligan's Island theme song. In the end, I did almost 3600 miles in 9 days. Still managed to get some testing done in there too.


There were interesting things along the way, but I made a special list of things I saw in Texas. The first thing was a chain of gas stations/convenience stores in Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas. I wonder how it got it's name.


Of course, in Texas, they have to tell you to drive friendly. One version said, "Drive friendly. I've got a gun."


All over Texas, I saw a church that was new to me, the Texas Cowboy Church.


Driving through central Texas, in the little town of Breckenridge, I came across this loan company.


When I got up in the hill country, I found what Texan's call a "hunting ranch". This is a large plot of land, often with a tall fence around it, that is stocked with wildlife and used for private hunting. At one of these I saw 3 albino deer, 2 does and a buck with a rack that was wider than he was tall. I suspect that rancher is growing these deer as a hobby.


In Uvalde, I found the "Bottle in a Bag" store. Here you could buy two of Texans favorite things, guns and liquor.


The hill country is an interesting place, worthy of exploration. The river's have some cool names too. How about the Nueces and Devils rivers. I especially liked the sign I saw but didn't take a picture of, "East Fork of the South Devils River".


Finally, when I got to New Mexico, I found proof that they see things from an existential point of view in New Mexico.



This remains travel season at work, so I'm not sure when I'll post again, but be assured that it will be trivial as its hard to be deep or creative when you're on the move.

2 comments:

  1. I love seeing pictures of interesting road signs, building signs, names, etc., so thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canajun,

    I totally agree with you. It's amazing the little shifts in culture from one place to another. The unusual signs along the way are one way to tell that story.

    ReplyDelete