Friday, January 2, 2015

Behind Again

Sometimes, doing the right thing just means more projects and me further behind.

I'm a big believer in being visible when riding a motorcycle on the road.  With so many things distracting drivers today, you've got to grab their attention so you don't get run over.  The tallest thing on the motorcycle is your helmet, so a strong, bright, high contrast color on a helmet gets the driver's attention from farther away than any other part of the motorcycle.  That's why I have taken the time to paint my helmets.


A helmet is designed to give you good protection for 5 years, 6 years in a pinch.  After that, the styrofoam liner has shrunk a little and the distance from your head and the liner increases your risk in an accident.

I have really enjoyed my Shoei X11, but 2014 was the 5th year and it was time to get a new helmet.  This last summer, I managed to find one that fits but somehow haven't gotten time to paint it.  At least I got a start on masking it.  In case you are wondering, I learned the hard way that you don't want to paint the vents.  Those things have switches that need to function and get clogged up with paint.  It makes finding a pleasing graphic pattern a challenge.


Wouldn't it be nice if I could buy one in the high visibility color?  They do exist, but my big, fat head has made it hard to find one that fits and meets my other needs.

It seems like the faster I go, the behinder I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment