Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Nose Pictures

My father used to enjoy taking close up pictures of faces.  He would move in so that the frame was filled up with just eyes, nose, and mouth.  He called them nose pictures and I liked them.  They were unusual, but also a nice representation of the person.

It seems that I have unconciously developed a kind of nose picture that I take when possible.  In this case, it's close up pictures of hood ornaments and, occassionally, badges.

Recently, I went to the Hemmings Concours in Lake George, NY with my old high school friend Dan.  Lots of interesting cars, but I liked the hood ornaments best.


Of course, horns can be nice too, but there is no way to avoid the photographer being in the reflection.


A Studebaker badge isn't a hood ornament, but it's a nice detail anyway.


Of course, hood ornaments started out as radiator caps.  Here is a nice one from an MG racer.


The classic hood ornament is the Packard Swan, although Packard referred to it as a Cormorant.


Although I guess Studebaker was trying to compete with Packard.  Is that a swan or a goose?


The gazelle was a Chrysler hood ornament in the 30's, although something similar later became the Chevy Impala trademark.


Stutz was using a goddess.  I think it is either Athena or Minerva, the difference being Greek or Roman.


An some hood ornaments are just fun.  I am assuming that this one is aftermarket and just for fun.  Either way, it is interesting to find on a Studebaker.


 If you find yourself enjoying hood ornaments the way I do, the link below will take you to pictures of many more fun and interesting ornaments.  Of course, all the pictures above are mine from the Lake George event.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/208150813999293150/







No comments:

Post a Comment