Monday, January 4, 2021

Happy 100th Birthday

 Today would have been my father, Art Brown's, 100th birthday if he had not passed in 2015.  To be honest, I had forgotten his birthday for the last few years and had completely missed the idea that this year would have been his 100th.  This post is about remembering, about ongoing family connections, and "traditions".

I may have forgotten his 100th birthday, but I remember him in little ways everyday.  He was a wonderful father and he and I were as close as father and son, and as friends, as any father and son can be.  From him I got my love of audio, my foundation in electronics, my love of cars, and my curiosity about how things work.  I also learned respect for every person, the importance of one to one relationships, and that family is a constant that you can fall back on and that continues on beyond each of us.

Each family has its small traditions.  One of ours, after our mother passed away, was Sunday dinner (noon meal) at a restaurant with as many family members together as possible.  Father always loved Italian food and we would often go to Olive Garden.

This year, of course, we have been staying home with the pandemic.  The person that remembered Art's 100th birthday was Amanda, his granddaughter.  She and her guy, Tim, remembered him with delivery food from Olive Garden.  Mmnnn.  Those bread sticks look good.

Here is to Art on his 100th birthday, to family connections, to memories, and the traditions they create.

No comments:

Post a Comment